Flooding Responsibilities and Possible Sever Weather Warnings
For latest updates on power cuts due to severe weather or to report any power cuts or damaged lines go to http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk or call free helpline on 0800 783 8838
Who is responsible for what?
- The owner of a property is responsible for protecting their own property against flooding. If you are a tenant it will be your landlord who has this responsibility.
- The Environment Agency is responsible for flooding from rivers.
- Essex County Council Highways Department has the responsibility to ensure that the roads in the District are kept free from flood water as far as reasonably practicable.
- Braintree District Council MAY be able to offer advice regarding localised flooding from ditches, pipes and culverts.
- Essex County Council can take legal action against landowners to resolve flooding issues, where legal intervention is required.
Local councils do not have a legal obligation to store and provide the public with sandbags. If your property is susceptible to flooding you should be prepared to protect your property using a variety of flood protection products. Advice and guidance on many types of flood protection products can be found at National Flood Forum.
In a flood situation the emergency services, local authorities and utility services will try to help where they can, but ultimately the responsibility to protect a property against flooding lies with the owner.
Environment Agency: 08708 506 506
Contact the agency if the flood water is derived from a river.
Essex Fire & Rescue: 999
If you feel your property or your life is at eminent risk from flood water
Essex County Council Highways: 0845 603 7631
If flood water is emanating from a block road gully or from surface water run-off from a road or a field.
Essex County Council Flood and Water Management: 01245 433 181
To report a flooding incident (when it’s safe to do so).
Anglian Water: 08457 145 145
Flood water surcharging (overflowing) from a man-hole.
Essex Police: 101
A flooded road that requires an emergency road closure.